Do you need to improve in reaching an international audience and extending the scope of your website because you are limited to one language? Creating multilingual WordPress sites is not just a trend but a strategic solution to overcome these obstacles.
As we enter an increasingly connected digital world, having sites that provide multiple languages becomes increasingly urgent. However, facing the complexity of implementing it is often a challenge.
Therefore, we will create a multilingual WordPress site. Several tools or services can be used to create a multilingual WordPress site, but we will try to use an AI translation plugin in this article.
Why Need to Turn Your Website Multilingual?
Turning your website multilingual offers several significant benefits. Here are a few reasons why having a multilingual website is beneficial.
- Expanded reach: Translating your website into multiple languages lets you connect with a broader global audience. This is particularly important if your products or services have global appeal or target specific international markets. A multilingual website lets you connect with potential customers needing help speaking or understanding your website’s default language.
- Increased traffic and engagement: When you make your website accessible to speakers of different languages, you can attract more visitors and increase overall traffic. People are more likely to engage with content in their native language. You create a more inclusive and user-friendly experience by accommodating diverse linguistic preferences, leading to higher engagement and longer browsing sessions.
- Improved SEO and search visibility: Translating your website into multiple languages can enhance your search engine optimization (SEO) efforts. When you have content in different languages, search engines can index and rank your site for relevant keywords in each language, increasing the likelihood of being featured in search outcomes for individuals in those languages. This can contribute to increasing organic traffic and enhancing your overall search visibility.
- Increased conversions and revenue: A multilingual website can directly impact your conversions and revenue. When users can understand your content, trust is established, and they are more likely to engage, make inquiries, and complete purchases. Expanding your reach and catering to a global audience opens up new opportunities for business growth and revenue generation.
- Improved user experience: There is a higher probability that users will linger or remain on your site and transform into clients when they can effortlessly navigate and understand your content. By presenting information in their mother tongue, you eliminate language obstacles and simplify the process for users to consume information, make purchasing decisions, and interact with your website. This results in a favorable user experience, boosting customer satisfaction and loyalty.
Turning your website multilingual can help you reach a wider audience, increase traffic and engagement, improve SEO, gain a competitive advantage, enhance the user experience, and ultimately drive conversions and revenue.
How to Create a Multilingual Website in WordPress
After knowing why it is necessary to change a WordPress site to various languages, we will create a multilingual website in WordPress.
You can utilize various online WordPress translation plugins to establish a WordPress site with multiple languages. One of the easiest ways is to add a WordPress plugin and install it for translating content.
WordPress supports a wide selection of translation plugins, one of which is the popular AI translation plugin we will use today, Linguise.
How it works is relatively easy. You install and activate the plugin. Then, in the plugin settings, you can determine what languages you want to add to your WordPress site.
For complete steps, continue reading the following explanation.
Step 1: Register Linguise Account
First, you must register for a free Linguise account by entering your name and email and creating a Linguise account. After that, you will get access to the Linguise dashboard. After that, include your site domain and complete the required details.
- For the Account section, enter your Linguise account credentials.
- Enter the website URL.
- In the Platform/CMS category, select WordPress.
- Select the primary language for your website in the Language section.
- Indicate the languages you want to add for translation in the Translation Languages segment.
- Finally, enable the Translate URL option.
If so, click “Next Step” to move to the next page. On this page, there is an API key that you have to paste into WordPress later, so click “Copy to Clipboard“.
Step 2: Install Linguise AI Plugin on WordPress
Switch to the WordPress dashboard if you have successfully registered and added a WordPress website domain. Here, you need to install the Linguise translation AI plugin.
To install, open the Plugin menu > Add new > Search for Linguise > Install > Activate.
Step 3: Enable the API key
If the Linguise plugin is installed, open the Linguise menu in the left navigation bar, and a display like the following will appear. In the Linguise API key column, paste the API key you got from the previous Linguise dashboard, then click “Apply“.
After enabling the API key, your website will automatically be integrated with Linguise and can be translated immediately. Then, the default language switcher display will appear.
Step 4: Customize Language Switcher
Before translating, we will customize the language switch button because adapting this to your website’s needs is essential.
Customization can be done via the WordPress or Linguise dashboard. However, this time, we will do it via the Linguise dashboard.
On the dashboard, select “Settings > Language flags display“. After that, a display like the following appears. On this page, you can set the list of language displays, positions, icons to be used, and flags and names, flags only, or names only, either short names or language names.
You can also set the language name using the native language, such as French or Francais, and select the flag style.
Then, on the right, there is a preview button for the language switcher you are setting.
After the customization, it is time to see the results of the button on the website page. The image below is an example of what a language switcher looks like on a website.
Step 5: Try Translating the Website
After the language switcher is customized, it’s time to try translating the web page through the Linguise integration that has been done.
The following page is available in English. We will try translating it into Japanese.
After selecting Japanese in the language switch button, all elements on the page, such as buttons and paragraphs, will be automatically translated in just a few seconds.
Step 6: Review the Translation Using a Live Editor
It can translate automatically, but the Linguise AI plugin can also translate manually via the live editor feature. This feature allows you to review the automatic translation results produced by the machine.
To do this, open the dashboard and select the “Live Editor” menu; you will then be asked to choose a language.
You can immediately choose which part to edit the translation results in. In the Translation in Japanese column, enter the Japanese translation you think is more appropriate. If so, click “Save“.
Those are some steps to create a multilingual WordPress site using Linguise’s AI translation plugin. Relatively easy. Let’s explore the following tips to ensure the smooth creation of a multilingual WordPress site.
Tips for Creating Multilingual WordPress
Creating a multilingual WordPress website can expand your reach and cater to a global audience. Here are some tips to help you create a multilingual WordPress site.
- Choose a multilingual plugin: WordPress offers several multilingual plugins to help you translate your website’s content. Remember to ensure the features offered, the quality of the translation results, price, etc.
- Plan your language structure: Determine which languages you want to support on your website. Consider the language switcher options, such as flags, dropdown menus, or text links, and decide where to place them on your website for easy navigation.
- Maintain consistency: maintain consistency in design, layout, and user experience on various language editions of your website. This helps create a seamless experience for your visitors, regardless of their language.
- Use language-specific SEO techniques: Optimize your content for search engines in different languages. Research and implement language-specific SEO techniques, such as adding SEO keywords, URLs for each language version, meta tags, etc.
- Implement hreflang tags: Use hreflang tags in your website’s HTML to indicate each page’s language and regional targeting. This aids search engines in comprehending the linguistic differences of your content.
- Enable user language switching: Allow users to switch between languages quickly. This can be done through a language switcher widget or a dropdown menu. Make sure the language switcher is prominently placed and easily accessible.
- Provide straightforward navigation: Make sure your website’s navigation is clear and intuitive for users of all languages. Use descriptive labels for menus and buttons, and ensure the navigation structure is consistent across different language versions.
- Consider localizing dates, currency, and units: Adapt your website’s formatting to match the conventions of different languages and regions. This includes date formats, currency symbols, measurement units, and other localized elements.
Creating a multilingual WordPress site can provide several benefits, from expanding your audience reach to increasing traffic and engagement to sales conversions.
Suppose you have a business and want to expand internationally. In that case, it is essential to have a multilingual website, and a WordPress website is the right choice because it is popular with users.
When creating a multilingual WordPress site, use a translation plugin that suits your site and business needs.